Thursday, December 23, 2010

{DIY} Child name in Candy Cane


I wanted to break away from the traditional candy cane "shape" and at the same time I wanted it to be memorable for my daughters. I came across this site which contributed to the idea! I have included instructions below...

The process is quite simple, but I highly recommend using some kind of glove to protect your fingers as you shape the heated canes. Luckily, I bake and have burned my fingers numerous of times, so I think they have built up some kind of resistance to the heat.

 Here is the finished product. I had to heat two candy canes at a time to get one or two letters done. It is better to do that way because they harden fast!!


Hhmm, now if only my daughters knew how to spell their names. Well, the eldest kinda does - she's only 3 years old so you can imagine what I mean! LOL. If you don't the other two are ages 2yrs and 1yr. Enjoy, and I'd love to see pictures!

Materials:
1 - 2 boxes of candy canes, any color ( depending on the number of names needed).
Parchment Paper
Knife, if necessary
Cookie Sheet

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. Remove the candy from its plastic!
  3. Break Candy Canes into pieces or you can leave it as is. However, cutting into them is no fun after its been heated. The more you do it - the more you will learn which method works best for you!
  4.  Place onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
  5. Pop it into the oven for 10 minutes.
  6. Pull them out and shape accordingly.
    That's it, simple right?!

8 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! I love this ... just in time for one last Christmas project with my kiddos before Santa comes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd have seen this earlier. What a great idea. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome Nike! I hope to see pictures!

    Pattie, maybe it's not too late! They're quick and easy to make.

    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute that is! Thanks for the cool idea! I have a bunch of candy canes leftover that was for a cake I was soppose to make for Christmas and completely forgot to make it! I'm definetely making these for my girls! I'm your newest follower too by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, You are very welcome! :) I would love to see pictures!! Thank you thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! And it looks totally doable! Just featured it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Elizabeth! Sorry I am late to say that!

    Living eventfully, you're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...